Files/Folders Not Updating Automatically ? Here’s your fix!
In this tutorial I will be teaching you how you can fix an issue where your desktop does not automatically refresh it when you make a change to a file or folder.
Issue: Windows Explorer (Desktop) does not refresh your files/folders automatically
Symptoms of issue:
1. You attempt to empty the Recycle Bin, but the recycle bin still shows as full.
2. When deleting a file, the icon for the item stays visible on desktop. However, when you try to delete the item again it tells you
it “could not find this item”.
3. Renaming a folder or file retains its old name in Windows Explorer
4. You create a new folder or a file on desktop but it doesn’t appear
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 32-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows 8.1 32-bit
Windows 8.1 64-bit
How to fix:
1. Run registry editor (regedit.exe) as administrator
2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTCLSID
3. Right-click on CLSID and perform a search for “dontrefresh”
4. Change the values to 0
5. Keep hitting F3 to continue searching registry for the same value. If a result is found, change its value to 0.
6. Hit F5 to refresh registry
7. Open command prompt without elevation and issue the following command: tskill explorer
8. Your Explorer shell should now be able to automatically update changes made to files and folders. You can test this by creating a folder on desktop and attempting to rename it.